Monday, September 23, 2013

A Few Tips Regarding Yard Sales

Since this weekend has been so crazy, I've been trying to decide what to write in my next post! I haven't had time to even THINK about furniture! By the way, I did get that staple gun ordered...finally. Well you caught me, maybe I thought about furniture...but just briefly.


I'll finally get to start on my reupholstery job; you know the red chair. 

It's been a little naked lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, anyway I decided to talk about shopping yard sales. But remember, I am by no means an expert in shopping yard sales. Consider this just friendly advice. 
  1. Map out your route.
    • They first thing you need to do is buy a copy of your local newpaper and locate the garage sales. Also, you will want to check your local bookoo for yard sales in your area.
    • I like to plug all my sales into my maps application on my iphone and then decide which sale I will hit first. For me this could be the one on the opposite side of town, the  one that opens the earliest, or the one in the most affuential part of town. 
    • Make your route so you can hit all of the sales in that area before you move on to another area of town.
    • Remember, the earlier you hit all of the sales, the more likely you'll get the best deals.

  2.  Know what your looking for. 
    • In order to hit as many sales as possible, you want to have an idea of what you're searching for. 
    • When hitting the sales, look past the mundane. Train your eye to look for what you're searching for and look fast. 

    3. Haggle.
    • Haggling is such a soft issue...some people don't mind lowering their prices, but others do. 
    • In the morning, people are less likely to haggle because it's still early. 
    • The closer to the afternoon, people are usually more willing to haggle because they are tired and ready to go home. 
    • If prices are not marked, don't be afraid to ask the price. If it's too high for you...then try to haggle.
I usually start my shopping right at 7 a.m. and I am done between 8:30 and 9:00. 
Most of the time, I come home with a treasure trove of items. 
Good luck hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment